Are you ready to embark on a culinary journey to New Zealand? Join us as we unveil the secret to a heartwarming bowl of Kumara and Bacon Soup that will leave you craving for more. With its rich, velvety texture and a symphony of flavors, this soup is the epitome of comfort and coziness. Let’s dive into the world of Kumara, New Zealand’s beloved sweet potato, and savor the taste of tradition. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a kitchen novice, this recipe is bound to delight your taste buds. Get ready to discover the magic of Kumara and Bacon Soup!
- 500 grams kumara (sweet potatoes), peeled and diced
- 200 grams bacon, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable broth
- 250 ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the diced bacon and cook until it becomes crispy and browned, stirring occasionally. Remove some of the crispy bacon pieces and set them aside for garnish.
- Add the finely chopped onion and minced garlic to the pot with the remaining bacon. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced kumara (sweet potatoes) to the pot. Stir to combine with the onion, garlic, and bacon.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and add the bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the kumara is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender in batches to purée it until smooth and creamy.
- Return the puréed soup to the pot over low heat. Stir in the milk and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- Simmer the soup for an additional 5-10 minutes to heat it through and allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the Kumara and Bacon Soup hot, garnished with the reserved crispy bacon pieces and fresh parsley if desired.
Enjoy your homemade New Zealand Kumara and Bacon Soup, a creamy and flavorful dish that highlights the natural sweetness of kumara! Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a kitchen novice, this recipe is bound to delight your taste buds!