Caldo verde is a traditional Portuguese soup originating from the northern part of the country (province of Minho).
Creamy from the potatoes and meaty from the chorizo, this is a perfect choice for a cold day.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 900g potatoes
- 300g kale
- 1 chorizo
- 50ml olive oil
- Peal the potatos and cut them into 2cm cubes.
- Peal the garlic and chop finely..
- Peal the onion and slice thinly.
- Pour 2 liters of water to a pot, add potatoes, onion and garlic, and bring to boil.
- Make shallow cuts on the chorizo and add it to the pot once the water starts boiling.
- Add 25ml of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt, lower the heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the kale into thin strips.
- Remove the chorizo and cream the the veggies with a hand blender.
- Add the kale and 25ml of olive oil, stir, and let it cook for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the cooked chorizo into round slices.
- Add pepper and salt to taste, add cut chorizo, stir and serve.